There's something your grandmother or favorite aunt has in common with Eva Longoria, Katherine Heigl, Rebecca Romijn, and yes, even Beyonce. They all selected platinum as the metal of choice for their engagement ring. Why has platinum stood the test of time? For starters, it's a natural white metal that won't cast any color on diamonds. And its density makes it more durable than other metals. But it also, quite simply, just feels perfect when worn as a symbol of your love. Robbins Brothers is pleased to share with you the following facts about the pure beauty of platinum.
Platinum is pure, naturally white and is kind to the skin.
- Platinum is a naturally white metal so it will not cast any of its own color into a diamond.
- Usually 95% pure (by comparison 18 karat gold is 75% pure), platinum never fades or tarnishes but keeps its natural white color for a lifetime.
- As platinum is so pure, it is naturally hypoallergenic and ideal for those with sensitive skin.
- Platinum is rare, a treasure coveted by influential individuals for centuries.
- Found in very few places around the world, platinum is 30 times more rare than gold.
- Platinum jewelry is exclusive, a statement of individuality, and desired by those in the know.
- Platinum is eternal, with everlasting radiance and durability.
- Platinum's unequalled durability and resistance to wear makes it the most secure and protective metal, which means your jewelry will be protected for a lifetime of wear.
- Platinum does not change shape or wear away so precious stones are held firmly and securely.
- The density of platinum makes it more durable than other jewelry metals.
- Platinum is versatile, with remarkable qualities that have led to astonishing applications.
- The world's greatest jewelry designers have always preferred working with platinum. Its remarkable pliability allows it to be drawn out to a fine wire, enabling the creation of intricate platinum mesh accessories which could not be fashioned from other precious metals.
- Platinum is also in demand in other fields, including the automobile industry, most notably in catalytic converters.
- Platinum is a life-saving metal: More than 50,000 people live healthily thanks to the platinum used in their pacemakers. Platinum is not affected by the oxidizing reaction of blood, it is compatible with living tissue and has excellent conductivity.
Platinum Ring Elements and Designs
How do I know that a piece of jewelry is made of platinum? All platinum jewelry is hallmarked. There are a number of symbols or marks that have to be displayed on a piece of jewelry to indicate that it is high purity platinum. Here are some examples of the platinum marks to look for:
PLATINUM or PLAT